Executive Manager of Information Technologies for FGC.
Current Research Interest
My current research focus is on the merger of context-aware learning systems with artificial intelligence. With an overarching theme of smart learning environments and context aware systems.
Recent Selected Published works
Brown, W. J., Tortorella, R. A. W. (2020). Hybrid medical simulation – a systematic literature review. Smart Learning Environments.
El-Bishouty, M. M., Aldraiweesh, A., Alturki, U., Tortorella, R., Yang, J., Chang, T. W., & Graf, S. (2019). Use of Felder and Silverman learning style model for online course design. Educational Technology Research and Development, 67(1), 161-177.
Richard A. W Tortorella, Kinshuk, Nian-Shing Chen (2018). Head in the clouds: Some of the possible issues with cloud-computing in education. In Frontiers of Cyberlearning: Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning, Springer, Singapore.
Tortorella, R. A., Kinshuk, & Chen, N. S. (2018). Framework for designing context-aware learning systems. Education and Information Technologies, 23(1), 143-164.
Tortorella, R. A., & Kinshuk. (2017). A mobile context-aware medical training system for the reduction of pathogen transmission. Smart Learning Environments, 4(1), 4.
Tortorella, R. A., Kinshuk, Chen, N. S., & Graf, S. (2017). A classification framework for context-aware mobile learning systems. International Journal of Modern Education and Computer Science (IJMECS), 9(7), 1-11.
Tortorella, R. A. W., & Graf, S. (2017). Considering learning styles and context-awareness for mobile adaptive learning. Education and Information Technologies, 22(1), 297-315.
Tortorella, R. A. W., Hobbs, D., Kurcz, J., Bernard, J., Navarro, S. M. B., Chang, T., Graf, S. (2015). Improving Learning based on the Identification of Working Memory Capacity, Adaptive Context Systems, Collaborative Learning and Learning Analytics. In M. Chang and A.-S. Farook (Eds.), Proceedings of Science and Technology Innovations.
Graf, S., Kinshuk, K. B., Khan, F. A., Maguire, P., Mahmoud, A., Rambharose, T., Tortorella, R. A. W., Zhang, Q. (2012). Adaptivity and personalization in learning systems based on students’ characteristics and context. In The 1st international symposium on smart learning environment (pp. 33-36).
Tortorella, R. A., & Graf, S. (2012). Personalized mobile learning via an adaptive engine. In Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT), 2012 IEEE 12th International Conference on (pp. 670-671). IEEE.
Spector, M., Kumar, V., Essa, A., Huang, Y.-M., Koper, R., Tortorella, R., Chang, T.-W., Li, Y., Zhang, Z. (Eds.) (2018). Frontiers of Cyberlearning: Emerging Technologies for Teaching and Learning, Springer, Singapore.
Reviewed Papers for:
· Education and Information Technologies, 2011-2020
· International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT2018), 2018
· Education and Information Technologies, 2017
· IEEE Conference on Technology for Education (T4E 2016), 2016
· International Conference on Smart Learning Environments (ICSLE2016), 2016
· 8th International Workshop on Social and Personal Computing for Web-Supported Learning Communities (SPel 2015), 2015
· Tenth European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL 2015), 2015
· International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT2015), 2015
· Technology for Education and Learning Journal, 2014
· Bulletin of the Technical Committee on Learning Technology (IEEE TCLT)
· The 6th IEEE international conference on Technology for Education (T4E2014)
· Educational Technology Research & Development, 2014
· EFQUEL Innovation Forum/LINQ Conference, 2014
· 1st International Conference on Human Factors in Computing & Informatics (SouthCHI 2013)
· 19th Intl. Workshop on Personalization and Recommendation on the Web and Beyond (ABIS 2012)
· International Conference on Exploratory Learning in Digital Age (CELDA 2012)
· 4th Workshop "Enterprise Systems in Higher Education" (ESHE12)
· The International Conference on Technology for Education 2012
· International Conference on Learning Analytics and Knowledge (LAK 2012)
· Cognition and Exploratory Learning in Digital Age 2011
· IADIS International Conference www/internet 2011
Previous Academic Positions
· Assistant Editor - Journal of Educational Technology & Society. 5-Year impact factor 1.34 according to Thomson Scientific 2013. ISSN: 1436-4522 (online) and 1176-3647 (print) http://www.ifets.info
· Research Assistant, Athabasca University, Athabasca, Alberta, Canada.
· Support Technician, Academic Computing Services, Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada.
· Instructional Specialist, Department of Physics, Simon Fraser University, British Columbia, Canada.
Previous Teaching Responsibilities
2019 - Course Development/Teaching, Systematic Literature Review Methods, University Eastern Finland, Finland
2016- Course Development/Teaching, SOATE2016, State-of-the-Art Technologies in Education, University Eastern Finland, Finland.
2011 - Course Development, COMP 200: Introduction to Computing and Information Systems. Athabasca University, Canada.
Wayne Brown - PhD Student - Improving simulation based healthcare education through human actors and wearable technology. University Eastern Finland, Finland.
Rose Simons – MSc Student - A literature review of context-aware adaptive mobile learning systems. Athabasca University, Canada.
Previous Academic Activities
· Technical Chair - 2017 International Conference on Smart Learning Environments (ICSLE 2017)
· Technical & Operations Chair – The 16th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies (ICALT 2016)
Available Upon Request.
Email: tortorella (at) ieee.org
Alternative Email: richard(dot)tortorella (at) unt.edu